4 stars

A Quest for Magic | Song of Sorrows by J.D Wright - Partly Spoiler Review

August 01, 2017

Title: Song of Sorrows
Author: J. D Wright
Series: Songs of Everealm #3
Genre: Fantasy
Publication Date: October 18th 2016
Format Read: Ebook
Rating: ★★★★
Synopsis of Book 1:
Princess Sarita has everything. Loving parents, a castle fit for royalty, fine clothes, loyal friends, and an exciting job as a scholar of magic. At eighteen years of age, one might think that she would be content with her position. But one thing has always been missing from her life... full magic, itself.

When a strange old woman gave Sarita a secret spellbook as a child, her entire life was changed. The book contains spells, songs, and stories. But most of all, it provides a path to gaining full magic, the only thing that Sarita still needs to feel complete. And now, she has finally prepared to leave her home in search of the Stones of the Divine, the final ingredient she needs to gain magic.

Gabrielle has been known as the sister of a knight and best friend of the princess for as long as she can remember. Now an experienced healer's assistant, she is desperate to find her place and purpose in Junacave. An adventurous mission to help Sarita locate a mystical stone may be just the change in her life that she is looking for.


King Cassidy is still alone, but not for a lack of trying. His attempts to convince the Princess of Junacave to marry him over the past ten years have been for naught. And being twenty years old, with no heir, he is running out of time. If he can't win the heart of the princess, he may have to face a future without the love of his life.

Book 1 and 2 review


This book isn't my favourite in the series so far, but it was still really good! 

In this book, we visit a lot of new places in Everealm, which I really enjoyed. For once, we went on a ship, which was really interesting and the new places we went through the portal like Kalharie (I'm spelling that wrong aren't I?) were really intriguing and great to read about.

I will warn you, the main characters are really frustrating in this book. Especially Sarita and Cassidy. Last two books, it was Gabby and Oliver making me want to pull my hair out, this time it was these two. They were sooooo indecisive and Sarita was acting like a spoiled brat and being really unfair to sweet Cassidy, who has PURSUED HER FOR A LIFETIME and never gotten anything in return. 

We see a lot of budding relationships in this book, which I adored. One thing I love about this series iIthat there isn't any instalove. Everybody actually gets to know each other before they're all "OH I LOVE HIM/HER SO MUCH." Even the mates acknowledge that their connection is because of the magic, and not because of "love." Not until they get to know the person. One of my favorites was Jolene and Garrison, who were giving me Finn and Adelphie flashbacks to no end! Those two were really cute, and they really got to know each other. I loved how they annoyed each other with the "Garrybear" and "JoJ" nicknames. Jake and Calista trying not to kill each other was hilarious, probably the most entertaining chapters in the book for me. And Asher and Emery... *sigh* I'm pretty sure they're going to be a disaster. But that's just better for me next book *grabs popcorn*

This book started with the winter ball, one of my favorite parts of this series! I was so ecstatic! Somebody please transport me to this world and leave me there so I can participate! I've never been in snow for more than an hour or so (Equator, why must you punish me so?) and I've always wanted to be part of a snowball fight, especially with these wonderful characters.

The thing that took away from this book for me was definitely the couple fighting. It just kept ruining the mood. Sarita and Gabby seem to be getting more and more selfish rather than becoming better people and I hope this changes in the next two books. I couldn't stand either of them. My favorites in this book were Jake and CALI of all people! Even Garrison grew on me, and that's saying a lot since I despised him in books 1 and 2.

Overall, I definitely recommend this series to anyone who's looking for a fantasy with tons of amazing romance. I think it's a fair balance between the two. WHY ISN'T THIS AUTHOR FAMOUS YET? I HAVE BEEN RAVING SINCE 2015 IT SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT ON BY NOW!

**WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION**

OKAY LET'S TALK SPOILERY. HERE COMES MY RANT ABOUT SARITA.

Sarita, please stop thinking you're such a special snowflake. Cassidy has been pursuing you since he was a little kid and you kept turning him away, except when you wanted to do it and felt needy, then it was completely okay and you even made RULES the nerve of you! And now that Cassidy has FINALLY COME TO HIS SENSES and realized he deserves someone who actually acknowledges him, NOW you want him? Bitch please. He'll find many people better than you who actually give him the attention he deserves! (Although let's be real, he's gonna come running right back to you but if he didn't there are better people out there!) YOU are not a damn jewel, CASSIDY, is a damn jewel! ARGH!

Also, Gabby finally did something right, agreeing to go to Taten with Oliver after Cassidy made him knight (Cassidy is the MVP in this book. Scratch that. CASSIDY IS THE MVP IN LIFE!) Thanks for not starting up something else Gabby.

The scene where Jake takes Cali shopping was so adorable. She just squealed at everything and he couldn't resist buying her everything she wanted and awwwwwwwwwww. My heart <3. BUT JAKE! You don't just run off and leave a letter like that "Oh if I don't come back, it was amazing knowing you and I love you" doesn't sound very believable! Happy mate, happy mage, remember? I love him, but he does the dumbest things sometimes. I anticipate their many fights to come in the next two books.

Jolene and Garrison. Who would have thought Garrison would become a bearable character. I am just happy he acknowledged he was being unfair to Gabby when he was constantly chastising her. The scene where Jo scaled the side of the castle was hilarious! And Garrison's mom dying in her sleep was heartbreaking </3! Poor guy. This was one of the weirdest relationships ever, but I loved it nonetheless. Especially Jo's favors from Garrison. I am sad that the apple tart was ruined by the rain though. 

Asher and Emery finally did it! They opened their connection. I look forward to them actually getting to know each other, since that didn't happen at all in this book. They just sort of... went straight into it. It'll be interesting, since Asher is very intellectual and Emery is extremely na├»ve, like a little kid. 

Sarita got the moonstone (I hope the princess Esmeralda already GOT the magic from it so she doesn't get to have it.) I wonder what she's going to do now. I also wonder what exactly is going to happen in the next two books since the whole magic quest is obviously done. I'm so scared for Cassidy, he doesn't deserve a broken heart! I can't believe he stole the moonstone for her. Agh, J.D., please don't hurt my babies! (Well, technically, they're your babies so I hope you feel the motherly instinct to keep them intact.)

I am so excited for the next book. I didn't read the "excerpt" of book 4 at the end because I feel as if it will end on a sort of cliffhanger and I don't want to do that to myself again. Anyways, I loved this book, despite the frustration. I like books that make my feel things strongly. Here's hoping book 4 gets released ASAP!

-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D